How to Protect Your Hearing
How do we go about protecting our hearing?
Here are some recommendations for hearing protection,
whether you are a worker, safety director, purchaser, or
just someone who knows it is necessary:
- Know your hazard - Whenever possible, measure the noise
levels in your environment on a frequent basis to
determine exactly what the hazards are, and have an
understanding in what frequency ranges the majority of
the noise occurs.
- Trust the annual audiogram - Rely on this information to
gauge your hearing loss from year to year. Is your
hearing deteriorating? Is it due to noise induced losses
from the workplace, or simply the facts of aging?
- Select hearing protection that is right for you - that
is comfortable to you, and that you will wear.
- Wear your hearing protection right - Each type of
hearing protector is slightly different. The important
thing to remember is that you need to insert ear plugs
correctly, or ear muffs completely over the ears. Then,
you must always test the fit.
- To test the fit - cup your hands over your ears, then
release. If you can hear a difference, you may not be
wearing your hearing protector correctly. Remove, then
Following these simple guidelines, you can save your
hearing from further hazardous exposure and potential